The Productivity Episode | Show 190
The Productivity Episode | Show 190
In this candid episode, Dave Lorenzo and Nicola Gelormino delve deep into the challenges that come with increased public visibility. From unsolicited requests to the misconceptions of constant availability, they discuss the importance of setting boundaries, focusing on business goals, and saying “no” when necessary. Through relatable analogies and shared experiences, they highlight the significance of respecting time and the essentiality of clarity in purpose. The episode serves as a reminder to prioritize personal and professional commitments over unsolicited demands.
1. An Unsolicited Request: Dave Lorenzo opens up about a recent unsolicited email he received. This email was from someone who didn’t have a prior relationship with Dave but was requesting him to organize a meeting with industry leaders. He emphasizes the unrealistic and bold nature of such demands, given there’s no prior connection or reason for his involvement.
2. The Weight of Expectations: Dave elaborates on the pressure and expectations that come with public speaking and broadcasting on platforms like YouTube. Many feel like they know him personally because of his public presence. This often leads to unsolicited interactions where strangers expect Dave to invest his time to help them without offering anything in return.
3. Misconceptions: There’s a general misunderstanding around professionals who speak or present in public forums. The assumption is they’re always available for one-on-one advice or “brain-picking” sessions, without considering the demands on their time or their professional boundaries.
4. Ignoring Unsolicited Demands: Both hosts seem to agree that the best way to handle such unsolicited emails or requests is to ignore them. They touch upon the unfair nature of these asks and how they can be disruptive to their schedules and personal lives.
5. Value of Time: Dave compares protecting our physical possessions and our time. He likens someone asking for his time without justification to a thief entering his house and stealing. He urges listeners to understand that time is a more valuable asset than physical possessions.
6. Saying “No”: Nicola stresses the importance of saying “no” more often. In a professional setting, every “yes” can potentially detract from the main goals and business targets. They also discuss the challenges of navigating refusals within smaller communities or networks where everyone knows each other.
7. Providing Value: Dave acknowledges that there are platforms and events where he’s more accessible for questions and professional interaction, such as his monthly breakfast meetings. However, outside those avenues, he’s focusing on building his business.
8. Clarity of Purpose: Dave shares his current professional objective: launching the ‘Exit Success Lab’ and achieving a specific revenue target by a defined date. He believes that achieving these ambitious goals requires eliminating distractions and being laser-focused.
9. A Personal Reflection: Dave ends the discussion with a more personal tone, emphasizing how he intends to listen to this episode multiple times as a reminder to himself. He stresses the importance of setting boundaries and prioritizing personal life.
10. Conclusion: Dave and Nicola thank their listeners for tuning in, with a humorous nod to the fact that the episode was a candid and raw discussion, and may not be the one to share widely.
📺Watch and Enjoy!
Know Someone That Might Like This? Why Not Share The Post!
Other Podcasts You Might Enjoy
Audio Podcast This episode of The Inside BS Show focuses on fostering a mentally healthy workplace. Dave and Nicola discuss the importance of mental health, the need for conversations about wellbeing, promoting well-being in the workplace, providing access to mental...
Audio Podcast On this episode of the Inside BS Show, Dave Lorenzo and Nicola Gelormino discuss the concept of a "season of focus" and how it can help individuals achieve their goals. They emphasize the importance of clarity of purpose, breaking goals down into smaller...
Audio Podcast On this episode of the Inside BS Show, Dave Lorenzo and Nicola Gelormino discuss how to select the right business coach. They provide three tips for finding the right coach: 1) Hire someone who has achieved what you want to achieve in your business; 2)...